E.C. Hafer Park
Hafer Park, which is situated on 121 acres, offers a variety of recreational activities including 1.5 miles of walking/biking trails and baseball fields, as well as exercise equipment and sand volleyball courts, duck ponds, playgrounds and pavilions for rent. The hill is used for summer concerts. A climbing wall for kids is located next to the duck pool. The coordinates are for Bryant Ave. and 9th St., which is the only entrance to the park.
Hafer Park was named after E.C. Hafer, former Edmond Public School athletic director. Hafer (1896-1985). E.C. was established in 1946. E.C. Hafer was appointed coordinator of the Edmond Public Schools’ combined athletic program and Central State College’s demonstration school. To make Edmond a stronger and more complete athletic organization, the programs were combined. E.C. E.C.
E.C. Hafer spent many hours volunteering to coordinate the construction of the Edmond All Sports Program’s little league baseball, softball and football fields. In honor of Hafer’s dedication to Edmond’s youth, the final complex was named Hafer Park. The park was constructed on city-owned land that was acquired in 1929 and had been used for many years as a landfill.
Hafer Park was established in 1979. It has seen many improvements. There are many improvements, including a fishpond, playground equipment and picnic pavilions. There are more than 1 1/2 miles worth of walking trails. A theater stage has been constructed to allow professional theatre performances outdoors, such as the “Shakespeare In The Park”. A 52-foot steel bridge over Spring Creek, which runs through the park, was built in 1992.
Edmond Historical Society 1983
EDMOND PARKS FOUNDATION INCORPORATED